Free entry into Sentosa as Star Wars takes over Southeast Asia’s largest sand sculpture festival!
- Sentosa Sandsation: Star Wars Edition kicks off three-year collaboration between Sentosa Development Corporation and The Walt Disney Company Southeast Asia
- 20 larger-than-life sand sculptures of iconic Star Wars characters to wow guests
- All Singapore residents to enjoy free entry into Sentosa from 31 Aug to 15 Sept 2019
Sentosa Sandsation is striking back this year, bringing your favourite Star Wars characters to Siloso Beach! Be inspired by sand sculptures from a galaxy far, far away, and make time to come with your loved ones this September school holidays!
The inaugural event under a three-year collaboration between Sentosa Development Corporation (SDC) and The Walt Disney Company Southeast Asia, Sentosa Sandsation: Star Wars Edition is Southeast Asia’s largest sand sculpting festival, spanning almost 3,000 square metres and running from 31 August to 15 September 2019, between 10.00am and 8.30pm daily. Entry into the event is free for all.
Plus, to celebrate the school holidays, all Singapore residents will also enjoy free island admission between 31 August and 15 September 2019 via the Sentosa Express or when driving through the Sentosa Gateway vehicular gantry in Singapore-registered cars, on top of the existing free modes of entry.
Promising fun for all ages, Sentosa Sandsation: Star Wars Edition will feature:
• 20 Star Wars-themed sand sculptures – Immerse yourself amongst iconic characters brought to life by some of the world’s most renowned sand artists, including Singapore’s very own JOOheng Tan.
Embrace the light side of the Force with Yoda, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Chewbacca and Rey or harness the power of the dark with Darth Vader, Jabba the Hutt, Boba Fett and Kylo Ren.
• Sand sculpting workshops and ‘live’ demonstrations – Head on down to the daily free sand sculpting workshops located right on the event ground! Happening throughout Sentosa Sandsation: Star Wars Edition with three timeslots at 11am, 2pm and 5pm on a first come first served basis, this would be the perfect place for you to learn from the masters.
Guests can also look forward to Jabba the Hutt being brought to life by internationally renowned sculptor JOOheng progressively throughout the event.
• Sentosa International Sand Sculpting Competition – Watch the world’s best sand masters compete to craft fantastic sand art masterpieces at the third edition of the Sentosa International Sand Sculpting Championship, which will be held from 31 August to 2 September.
• Exclusive merchandise – Get your hands on exclusive bespoke Star Wars-themed merchandise, such as glow-in-the-dark T-shirts and customisable tote bags, at the retail area at Sentosa Sandsation: Star Wars Edition
• Free movie screenings – Guests can also make it a whole day out with free movie screenings at Palawan Green. Happening at 7.45pm on 31 August, 1, 14 and 15 September, grab a picnic mat and enjoy family bonding time on the green.
More magical events at Sentosa over next three years
As part of the collaboration between SDC and The Walt Disney Company Southeast Asia, guests can look forward to unique and creative experiences at Sentosa, inspired by Disney’s beloved characters and stories, over the next three years.
Sentosa FUN Shops and Singapore Cable Car Gift Shops, operated by One Faber Group (1FG), will also offer special bespoke merchandises exclusively produced by Disney and 1FG in conjunction with this collaboration. These include gifts like T-Shirts, tote bags, mini puzzles, mugs and neck pillows, and will go on sale from 31 August.
Ms Lynette Ang, Chief Marketing Officer, Sentosa Development Corporation, said, “The Walt Disney Company Southeast Asia is no stranger to us at Sentosa, with both brands having collaborated on past projects such as Sentosa Sandsation: Marvel Edition in 2018. Our three-year collaboration with Disney builds on this synergy to bring even more unique and fun leisure experiences to our guests. We are excited to kickstart this collaboration with Sentosa Sandsation: Star Wars Edition and have the iconic characters from the well-known franchise take Siloso Beach by storm. We look forward to welcoming everyone as they make time to connect with their loved ones at this very unique event.”
More information can be found here.
Free entry into Sentosa
From 31 August to 15 September 2019, enjoy complimentary entry into Sentosa when you:
• Enter via Sentosa Express trains: Simply tap your EZ-Link card on the gantry for free entry. Singapore residents without an EZ-Link card can present their NRIC or valid identification pass to our guest ambassadors for free entry.
• Drive in: Singapore-registered vehicles (except motorcycles) can enter Sentosa for free during this period.
From the Beach Station transport hub, take a 750-metre stroll down Siloso Beach to where Sentosa Sandsation: Star Wars Edition is. Alternatively, guests can hop on the dedicated shuttle loop service which runs from Beach Station to Imbiah Lookout to Siloso Point. The shuttle runs from 12pm to 9.30pm daily for the duration of the event with an interval of approximately 15 minutes.
Other free and low-cost ways to enter Sentosa
• From VivoCity, stroll across the Sentosa Boardwalk and into Sentosa for free. Once on the island, enjoy free travel on the Sentosa Express, Sentosa Buses and Beach Trams.
• Only the usual distance-based bus fare applies if guests take SBS Transit’s Service 123 into Sentosa, as no additional island admission fee is charged.
• Alternatively, enjoy free entry into Sentosa by cycling in or on your Personal Mobility Device.
• Take advantage of the following Grab promo code “SANDSATION” to enjoy $5 off a ride into Sentosa. The promo code is valid for one-time redemption per user and available from 10am to 10pm (except between 12pm to 2pm).
Details of sand sculpting workshop
Workshop Days: 31 Aug to 15 Sept 2019
Location: Sapphire Pavilion Beach Front
Workshop Timings: 11am, 2pm & 5pm daily
– 15 Sept (11am, 1pm & 3pm)
– All 11am slots on Sundays will be closed for Sentosa Islanders members only
Age of Participant: 5 years & above
(Participants age 10 & below are to be accompanied by an adult)
Duration of Each Session: Total duration about 45min to 50min
- Master Sculptor shows how to build a sand sculpture (15min to 20min)
Participant work on their sand sculpture. Master Sculptor and helpers will assist along the way (20min to 30min)
Content of Workshop:
- How to build a sand sculpture with only sand and water
- Introduction of sand sculpting tools
- How to compact sand in a form bucket
- Basic sand sculpting method
Group Size for Each Session: 10 Groups per session (1 to 3 participants per group)
Registration (On-site): Registration Booth @ Workshop area from 31 Aug to 15 Sept, 10am to 5pm.
*First come first serve basis.
Remarks: 1 set of sand sculpting tools will be provided for each group
Conducted by an international sand sculptor
It is the one week school break. Do check out our compilation of Exciting Things To Do This September School Holidays in Singapore 2019.
Mid-Autumn Festival falls on 13 September 2019. We have compiled a list of Mid-Autumn / Mooncake Festival events 2019 to go with the whole family in Singapore.
Come across an enrichment class and keen to find out your child’s response before committing to a full term? We have trial classes offered at discounted rates HERE!
If you find this article useful, do click Like and Share at the bottom of the post, thank you.
Want to be heard and seen by over 100,000 parents in Singapore? We can help! Leave your contact here and we’ll be in touch.