- Gather at Margaret Market, a first-of-its-kind conservation market.
- Support homegrown local brands, home bakers and cooks, as well as a relocated old trade from Tanglin Halt
- Look forward to free monthly health screenings for the elderly and comprehensive facilities for health and fitness
Margaret Market takes over from what used to be the former Commonwealth Avenue Wet Market & Food Centre was built in 1956 and is the only remaining building in Singapore built by the Singapore Improvement Trust. Gazetted for conservation by the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA), it now breathes new life as Margaret Market, a new destination set to be the jewel of Singapore’s first satellite town of Queenstown.
As a lifestyle destination, Margaret Market is local-centric and seeks to support local brands, home bakers and cooks. Boutique local brands, first-time vendors, and entrepreneurs will be spotlighted in a communal space, offering a variety of food and beverage delights and community gathering spaces.
On a monthly basis, look forward to free health screenings, community programmes, fitness, arts and culture activities made accessible to all walks of life. The monthly free health screening by Bethesda Medical will be conducted on the first Saturday of each month starting 2 September 2023 from 8.30am to 10.30am for Singapore citizens and permanent residents aged 60 and above.
The space is also home to a relocated old trade of Chinese medical hall, Fung Onn Medical Store, affected by the closing of Tanglin Halt. They are just a stone’s throw away from their previous location at Tanglin Halt so customers and followers will still get to interact with their familiar shop owners and workers. Relocated trades are offered a subsidised rate to set up shop and resume business at Margaret Market, all in the spirit of community.
Find everything you need for your fitness and health wellbeing with facilities like
- Bethesda Medical, the master tenant of Margaret Market, brings a comprehensive healthcare clinic with complete health screening, X-ray, dental and psychology counselling facilities, as well as a digital health booth to check our own health vital signs.
- Fung Onn Medical Hall, just a stone’s throw away from their previous location at Tanglin Halt so customers and followers will still get to interact with their familiar shop owners and workers.
- Gymm Boxx 24-hour open space gym for working out any time of the day.
As a lifestyle destination, Margaret Market is local-centric and seeks to support local brands, home bakers and cooks. Boutique local brands and first-time vendors and entrepreneurs will be spotlighted in a communal space.
Do share your support for some of our local trades:
- Urban Folks with their Australian-inspired jaffles and DIY acai bowls and The Homme Baker with their artisanal cakes. They were previously home-based businesses that now have the opportunity to operate out of home.
- Margie, a swanky bistro bar serving up local tacos and sides.
- Cu.Ra.Te fresh fruit and vegetable supplier specialising in seasonal fruits and vegetables.
- Creamier dessert parlour and Ya Kun Kaya Toast, a Singapore icon for local breakfast treats, both home-grown brands with deep local roots.
- Plus several others.
In revitalising Margaret Market, we aim to create new identity while preserving a sense of familiarity. Margaret Market is proudly curated and managed by Bethesda Medical, the master tenant and health service provider of the development.
About Margaret Market
Margaret Market is a first-of-its-kind conserved Marketplace for community gathering with a selection of wholesome food, good produce and fitness and wellness services. It takes over from what used to be the former Commonwealth Avenue Wet Market & Food Centre that was built in 1956. Gazetted for conservation by the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA), it now breathes new life as a modern community marketplace set to be the jewel of Singapore’s first satellite town of Queenstown. Within its open-space walls, Margaret Market gathers the community together with a food hangout space and trades of home-grown brands with deep local roots and a fitness and wellness centre. Margaret Market is curated and managed by Bethesda Medical, the master tenant and health service provider of the development. On a monthly basis, there will be free health screening for elderly. Community programmes made accessible to all walks of life are in the plans, including subsequent events themed around the farmer’s market as well as fitness programmes and arts and culture activity.
How to Get to Margaret Market
📍 38 Margaret Drive Singapore 141038
🚇 EW19 (Green line) Queenstown Station
Nearby places to check out:
- Kay Siang Bunkers
- Sun Yat Sen Nanyang Memorial Hall
- Ridout Tea Garden
- Alice in Wonderland Playground
* * * * *
Like what you see here? Get parenting tips and stories straight to your inbox! Join our mailing list here.
Want to be heard 👂 and seen 👀 by over 100,000 parents in Singapore? We can help! Leave your contact here and we’ll be in touch.