Make it a meaningful National Day with your little ones. Food craft is a common activity in Kiddiwinkie Schoolhouse and is certainly a great way to introduce children to new food and different textures. It is also fun way to introduce basic shapes and colours to the little ones. Using some jam, bread and honey stars, your preschooler can learn to hone his / her critical thinking skill and ‘model’ after a Singapore flag and make their very own flag!
Up for more fun ideas? The two crafts below will have your children asking for more! Suitable for younger preschoolers, these crafts are safe and easy to do.
- Whip cream
- Rainbow sprinkles
- Butter / Margarine
Recipe 1: Bread Fly Past!
- Cut out the bread into shapes of airplanes (you can easily google for them online)
- Spread some butter on the bread (this acts as ‘glue’)
- Sprinkle / dip the bread into the bowl of sprinkles
- Place it on a plate
- Lastly, create your own ‘smoke’ with the whip cream!
Recipe 2: It’s a banana, no it’s a plane!
- Slice a banana into half and place in the center of a plate (older children can do this with a blunt wooden / plastic knife)
- Cut the remaining half into 5 to 6 pieces and place them as the airplane ‘wings’
- Decorate with raisins on the fuselage (body of the airplane) and strawberries
- Add whip cream for a ‘cloudy’ finishing touch
Images by Ms Pooja Vishindas
This is the second installment of our Food Craft series by Ms Pooja Vishindas, Chief Curriculum Officer from Nurture Education Group.
Stay tuned for more Food Craft activities!
Nurture Education Group is a well-established pre-school operator in Singapore with over 15 years of experience in the pre-school industry. It operates 14 childcare centres under four brand names: Kiddiewinkie Schoolhouse, The Kiddiwinkie Place, Pibo’s, Little Footprints and a student care centre, eduWINkidz, as well as various enrichment arms.
If you find this article useful, do click Like and Share at the bottom of the post, thank you.
Want to be heard and seen by over 100,000 parents in Singapore? We can help! Leave your contact here and we’ll be in touch.