financial assistanceNeed financial assistance?

To ensure that all Singaporeans can benefit from the best opportunities in education, regardless of their financial background, MOE provides financial assistance to needy Singapore Citizen students in Government or Government-aided schools under the Financial Assistance Scheme (FAS).

The FAS also provides subsidy for school fees to Singapore Citizen students from lower and middle income families in Independent Schools. The only exceptions to this scheme are: Singapore Sports School, Northlight School, Assumption Pathway School and School Of The Arts. These schools have their own financial assistance schemes.

As of March 2012, the income limits and the types of benefits given to needy students in Government or Government-aided schools under MOE FAS are shown in the tables below.

Income Limits

A student is eligiblefor MOE FAS if he or she meets either of the following criteria:

1. Gross Household Income (GHI) not exceeding $2,500 per month


2. Per Capita Income (PCI) not exceeding $625 per month
The introduction of Per Capita Income (PCI) will enable students from larger families to benefit from financial assistance. Household members include parents, unmarried siblings and grandparents of the child as well as other dependents living in the same household. PCI is calculated by dividing the gross household income by the number of members in the household.

Benefits under the FAS scheme

  • Full waiver of standard Miscellaneous fees ($5.50 per month)
  • Free textbooks
  • Free school attire
  • 75% waiver of National Examination Fees (100% waiver for students under MCYS Public Assistance)

How can I apply?
Parents can obtain the application form from their schools, or download a copy of the MOE FAS Application Form. All application forms must be submitted together with the relevant documents to the schools directly.

For more information and to download the form, go to

Primary school fees can be paid using GIRO

For payment of fees using GIRO, all you have to do is to download the GIRO Application Form on the MOE website. Parents who wish to change their GIRO account can go to their banks to effect the change directly. If parents wish to effect the change of GIRO account through MOE, they are to submit the Termination Form together with the new GIRO Application Form to MOE.

If you find this article useful, do click Like and Share at the bottom of the post, thank you.

Want more comprehensive info? Check out our e-guides here.