PARK(ing) Day is back for the 5th year! Join this annual worldwide event where parking spots are transformed into interactive public spaces for everyone to enjoy. 😎
PARK(ing) Day is an annual worldwide event where community members transform parking spots into temporary public spaces.
A brief history of PARK(ing) Day
The project began in 2005 when Rebar, a San Francisco art and design studio, converted a single metered parking space into a temporary public park in downtown San Francisco. Since 2005, PARK(ing) Day has evolved into a global movement, with organisations and individuals (operating independently of Rebar but following an established set of guidelines) creating new forms of temporary public space in urban environments around the world.
First PARK(ing) Day in Singapore
Singapore first participated in PARK(ing) Day in 2013 with a group of passionate students and faculty from SUTD, design professionals from Participate in Design (P!D) and ReallyArchitecture (re:ACT), as well as community members. It was a fringe event of Archifest 2013, a festival of ideas for the city, curated and produced by Shophouse & Co. Together, they created a ‘Green PARK(ing)’ in MacPherson Estate to improve pedestrian safety.
PARK(ing) Day 2017
PARK(ing) Day is a global event held on the third Friday of September every year. This year, Singapore is celebrating PARK(ing) Day on a Saturday to encourage greater participation without being tied down by school or work commitments. In partnership with the Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD), this year’s PARK(ing) Day will be more fun than ever!
Date: 16 September 2017
Time: 11am – 9pm
Venue: Central Business District
How can you get involved in PARK(ing) Day 2017?
Everyone’s invited to participate in PARK(ing) Day happening on Saturday, 16 September!
It’s easy to create a PARK. Simply follow these steps:
- Plan where you would like to create your PARK and what you would like to do in the space.Choose your PARK from the list of URA parking lots under the Coupon Parking System within the Central Area (this includes areas like Singapore River, Bras Basah, Telok Ayer, Tiong Bahru and more)! If you have somewhere else in mind, we can explore locations of up to 1KM distance away from this geographical boundary. You can find more information on how to locate your parking lot and how to plan for your PARK in the FAQs section.
- Register with URA*. Closing Date is Thursday, 31 August 2017.
- Look out for the acceptance of your application and start planning your PARK
- Create your PARK on Saturday, 16 September 2017
- Enjoy the day and talk to people who visit your PARK, exchange ideas and get feedback from the public!
- Share pictures and videos of your PARK and include #OurFavePlaceSG #ParkingDaySG hashtags
*By participating, you agree to the Terms and Conditions.
URA’s Support Package for PARK(ing) Day 2017
Every PARK(ing) Day proposal will be entitled to the following upon successful registration:
- Signage and traffic cone to reserve car park lot
- PARK(ing) Day tattoo sheets
- Online printables
Friends of PARK(ing) Day
PARK(ing) Day 2017 is supported by Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD).
PARK(ing) Day Manual – Singapore Edition
The PARK(ing) Day Manual is based on the international PARK(ing) Day Manual and localised for Singapore. Packed with tips and thought-starters, it would help in your planning of your PARK. Download our PARK(ing) Day Manual – Singapore Edition (PDF)
For more information, visit here.