Duration: 3 days
Airplants are also known as Tillandsias. They are famous members of the pineapple family. They do not need soil to grow as they absorb the nutrients and water from the leaves instead of the roots.
They require minimal care:
- Good air circulation
- Sunlight or artificial lights
- Spray the whole plant thoroughly 1-3 times a week and the water on the plant must be allowed to dry within 4 hours.
- Learn about science – Children can learn that some plants not only get their nutrients from roots but from leaves
- Care and importance of nature
- A great bonding session for you and your child
- A ‘green’ and novel gift idea for special occasions such as birthdays and Christmas
- Craft white glue
- Soluble varnish gloss
- Glue gun and glue sticks or E6000 glue
- Acrylic paints and brushes
- Decorative items such as sequins, plastic gem stones, moveable eyes, feathers, sticks, pom-pom
Day 1 – Paint the Pebbles
- Paint the pebbles with any colours you want using acrylic paint
- Time to be creative! You can use other tools such as the ends of a straw, your fingers, tooth picks or chopsticks to create different texture and patterns on the pebbles
- After 30 minutes, apply a thin layer of soluble varnish on each painted stone
- Allow the painted pebbles to dry for 1 day
Day 2 – Decorate the Pebbles
- Decorate the painted pebbles with different decorative items. E.g. Plastic gems, sequins, moveable eyes, pom-pom and shells
- Use craft glue to stick decorative pieces on the painted pebbles
- If your child is between 2 – 4 years of age, you may need to assist them in this. Have a conversation with your child and let them express their ideas for their stone. If your child is stuck, you can facilitate by starting the activity with a theme in mind
- If your child is 5 years and above, allow him or her to self-explore and express his/her work of art
- Allow the decorated pebbles to dry for ½ – 1 day
Day 3 – Attaching the Airplant to the pebbles (requires parent’s assistance and supervision)
- Heat up the glue-gun with a glue stick or use E6000 glue
- Identify the position of where you want to attach your Airplant on the decorated pebbles
- Squeeze sufficient glue on the decorated pebble and place the Airplant
- If child is below the age of 4, parent should be carrying this task out
- If child is above the age of 4, the child can assist the parent in placing the Airplant on the required position
- Heated glue-gun is very hot, so keep it away from young children
- Use only glue-gun with glue stick or E6000 glue to attach Airplant to the decorated pebbles as it has a stronger hold
Poppletots was started in 2010 by a mom who left her job to be spend more time with her child. Poppletots aims to provide unique, fun and useful children related products such as educational kits and apparels. Within 2 years, Poppletots has become a fun-going cosy community for reviews and parents to exchange ideas. Find out more about Poppletots at here.
This article was first published in The New Age Parents e-magazine.
* * * * *
Like what you see here? Get parenting tips and stories straight to your inbox! Join our mailing list here.
Want to be heard 👂 and seen 👀 by over 100,000 parents in Singapore? We can help! Leave your contact here and we’ll be in touch.