The following items are recommended for a first aid kit.
1. Dressings (to cover wound)
- Packet of assorted adhesive plasters.
- Box of 5 x 5 cm sterile gauze pads.
2. Bandages (to hold dressings in place)
- Roll of adhesive dressing tape.
- Roll of elastic bandage.
- Roll of 2.5 cm wide gauze bandage
3. Medicines for external use:
- Anti-itch cream/lotion (e.g. calamine lotion)
- Antiseptic wash/cream/lotion (to prevent infection of cuts/grazes)
- Alcohol swabs
- Normal Saline eye solution (for flushing foreign body in eye)
- Syringe, medicine cup or spoon
4. Medicines for internal use:
- Antacid (to relieve indigestion)
- Anti-diarrhoea medicine (probiotic, charcoal for adults)
- Cough and cold medicine (either from your doctor or over-the-counter
- Fever medicine/simple painkiller (paracetamol/ibuprofen)
- Throat lozenges
- Clinical thermometer
- Scissors (to be kept solely for first-aid use)
- Pointed tweezers (to remove splinters/stings)
- Roll of sterile cotton wool (to clean wounds)
By Dr Wong Chin Khoon
SBCC Baby & Child Clinic
This article was first published in The New Age Parents e-magazine
If you find this article useful, do click Like and Share at the bottom of the post, thank you.
Want more comprehensive info? Check out our e-guides here.