There are a lot of things which parents can do in order to enhance family relationships. The new age parents would probably think of bringing their children to the malls and going to the movies. They would even consider shopping as fun activity which everyone in the family could enjoy.
The modernized world has taken aside some basic house activities which strengthen the bonds between children and their parents.
Cooking is usually taken for granted with the rise of so many fast-food chains which are expected to provide meals at an instant. Cooking as a family in your homes is definitely one of the best times for the entire family to come together and share life’s goodness.
Here is how to encourage your children get involved with cooking time:
- Turn off the television or the personal computer especially when it is time to cook or to eat. The television and other entertainment gadgets could be a big distraction to your family interaction and conversation.
- Decide together with what you will be having for the mealtime. Ask your children what they want and see if your ingredients fit the suggested recipe. You can also take a look at what’s available in your refrigerator and make the suggestions yourself.
- Shop together. Give your children the chance to pick their preferred fruits, vegetables and other ingredients. This could be the right time for you to discuss the benefits of natural foods against those with preservatives.
- Create a budget. As you shop, let children develop their ability to compare prices.
- Establish a menu. As you have given recipes which you know they love, try to rotate those with vegetable viands and meat. You may also want to discuss and explain the simplest concepts within the food pyramid. The next time you cook together, children will be able to remind you what food you have not yet taken from the food pyramid guide.
- Prepare dessert. Simple procedures come with some whipping of salads and soups. Children will enjoy this is more than stirring huge meals in the pan.
- Make sure kitchen is safe. Keep knives and other sharp objects together with harsh substances away while cooking.
- Start off little conversations during mealtime. Allow children to share their stories and experiences in school.
Cooking time is an effective way to instill many values to children. Although it may take some extra time and effort because children may not work according to our expectations, the joy and excitement is incomparable as they look forward to another meal each day.