What is Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)?
ADHD is a neurological condition affecting a person’s ability to control his or her attention and/or behaviour. People with ADHD usually show one or more symptoms of hyperactivity, inattention, and impulsivity. The cause of ADHD is not known. Studies have found that ADHD largely runs in families and children who have suffered a brain injury may show some behaviours similar to those of ADHD.
Symptoms of ADHD can appear in children as early as three years old. Different symptoms may also appear in different settings, depending on the demands the situation may require for the child to demonstrate self-control. For example, a 5 year old child with hyperactive behaviour may not be picked up as children at that age are not required to stay seated for long periods.
Signs of ADHD
- Feeling restless, often fidgeting with hands or feet, or squirming while seated
- Running, climbing, or leaving a seat in situations where sitting or quiet behaviour is expected
- Blurting out answers before hearing the whole question
- Having difficulty waiting in line or taking turns.
- Acting without thinking
- Often becoming easily distracted by irrelevant sights, sounds and thoughts
- Often failing to pay attention to details and making careless mistakes
- Rarely following instructions carefully and completely losing or forgetting things like toys, or pencils, books, and tools needed for a task
- Often skipping from one uncompleted activity to another.
Diagnosis and Treatment
Because many normal children may have these symptoms, and the symptoms may be caused by another disorder, it is important that the child receive a thorough examination and appropriate diagnosis by a well-qualified professional.
At the Child Development Centre (an affiliation of SBCC Baby & Child Clinic), our child development specialists treat ADHD with a combination of strategies from behavioural therapy and/or medication. Through consultation with our child development specialists, children with ADHD can lead successful and fulfilling lives.
Make an appointment
If you think your child has ADHD, please call 6397 6627 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for an appointment.
Visit our website for a list of our services.
* * * * *
Like what you see here? Get parenting tips and stories straight to your inbox! Join our mailing list here.
Want to be heard 👂 and seen 👀 by over 100,000 parents in Singapore? We can help! Leave your contact here and we’ll be in touch.