Fevers in children is one of the common causes of alarm for parents. Once they feel that their child is not having his normal temperature, several thoughts come worrying them as they seek for the help of the doctor.
Child fever is a great indicator that something is wrong. However, only few people realizes that fever is a medium for which the body defends itself against infection and further complications. It is in the instance of fever that the immune system is activated and fueled up for the production of white blood cells and antibodies.
Parents should be aware of the following considerations in order to deal with fever right:
- Infants with fever should be taken care of by professional medical providers. Once your child is suffering from fever, you should always consult your doctor at once. Do not neglect the condition as fever could be the indication of more serious complications inside the body.
- If your child no longer looks normal and would seem toxic-appearing, he should be rushed to the hospital at once. Ask your child how he feels. Let him mention pains and discomfort to have an initial diagnosis of what is causing the fever.
- Usually, doctors recommend observing the actions and appearance of a child. These are more important than the actual temperature indicated by clinical thermometers.
- Provide more fluids. Water and fruit juices are a great help in easing out the high temperature.
- Give lesser clothing. Do not make your child all covered up. Shirts, pajamas and other usual home clothes could be acceptable.
- If the child is uncomfortable and the temperature exceeds 39 degrees, give fever medicine at a regular dose every four hours.
- Avoid aspirin.
- Sponge bath could also help in putting the body temperature back to normal.
- Convulsion due to fever is generally harmless. However, infants who are younger than three months old and concedes to seizure should be brought to the doctor right away.
It is good for all to know that fever is a symptom of a more serious condition. It is not a disease. It is advisable that parents should not panic about ordinary fevers unless their child had suffered infections and sometimes allergic reactions. Home remedies can be very helpful but upon observation of abnormal behavior, the doctor is the best resort for intervention of fevers in children.
If you find this article useful, do click Like and Share at the bottom of the post, thank you.
Want more comprehensive info? Check out our e-guides here.