Chinese herbs and tonics are beneficial for post-partum recovery. Child delivery takes a great toll on the mother’s body, and Chinese herbs and tonics help to replenish the ‘qi’ 气 (life energy) and to stimulate blood cell production.
Recent research in Taiwan also revealed that breastfeeding mothers who consume Chinese herbs see a quicker recovery of their babies who are jaundiced.
Here are 5 essential TCM tonics and its benefits.
1) Post-Partum Tonic Soup (also known as Sheng Hua Tang)
Post-Partum Tonic Soup is formulated to aid with the clearing of lochia for better womb recovery. The main ingredient, Safflower, reduces blood stasis. For best effects, consume after discharge. The soup also stimulates blood circulation and relieves pain by warming the meridian channels.
Benefits: Clear lochia, better womb recovery and blood circulation, relieves pain
- Soak the whole packet of Post-Partum Tonic Soup herbs in water for 30min.
- Bring to boil, then simmer over low fire for 45 min.
- Strain out herbs, mix the “Red Flowers” in and let it sit for another 10 min.
- Serve and drink while it is hot (together with Red Flowers).
2) Green Papaya Prolactation Soup
Green Papaya Prolacation soup is traditionally taken during the confinement period. It helps boost milk supply for breastfeeding mothers and also helps in reducing water retention.
Benefits: Increase breast milk supply and reduces water retention
- Buy Threadfin Fish Tail/Fish Head and Green Papaya.
- Wash the fish clean and marinate with a little salt.
- Bring water to boil in a soup pot.
- While waiting for the water to boil, peel the green papaya, remove all the seeds and cut it into bite-sized chunks.
- When the water starts to boil, put in peanuts and continue to cook for 15 min before adding in the rest of the Prolactation herbs, fish and papaya.
- Let it simmer for another 45 min.
3) Brain Nourishing Soup
Headaches are one of the common post-partum issues especially if you are not particular about drying your hair after bath during your confinement period, or if you have been exposed to direct wind and cold air after childbirth.
Benefits: Boost brain-power and relieve headaches.
- Buy any meat that you prefer (Chicken/Pork Loin).
- Wash and blanch the meat before you put all the Brain Nourishing Soup pack.
- Bring it to a boil before simmering it for 1 hour.
4) Fo-Ti Root Blood Nourishing Soup
Blood deficiency after birth causes hair loss, which is worsened by stress and lack of sleep.
Benefits: Nourish blood and promote hair growth.
- Buy any meat that you prefer (Chicken/Pork Loin).
- Wash and blanch the meat before you put all the Fo-Ti Root Blood Nourishing Soup pack.
- Bring it to a boil before simmering for 1 hour to get a delicious soup done.
5) Herbal Tea
Herbal Tea is traditionally taken for the whole confinement month for all post-partum mummies. There are different formulas and concoctions. I have chosen two formulas to alternate so that you do not get bored of the taste after a week or two.
The formulas consist of qi and blood-boosting medications like Astragulus, Dried Longan, Red dates, Codonopsis and Wolfberries.
Benefits: Helps to replenish qi and blood, and ease bowel movements to prevent Post-Partum constipation. With sufficient qi and blood, your flow of breastmilk would be better too.
- Bring to boil a pack of Madam Partum Herbal Tea in 1.5-2L of water.
- Let it simmer for 1 hour.
How Chinese Tonics Helped In My Post-partum Recovery
After learning how to prepare each tonic, it is also important to know which tonics to have on certain days because each tonic effect is regulated to replenish different body parts for a holistic post-partum recovery including breastfeeding.
Being a mother myself, I have also suffered after child delivery and became very weak. I was fortunate that I can turn to my father, who is a Chinese Physician, for help. He prescribed Chinese tonics that aid in my lactation and post-partum recovery.
I’m grateful to my father and at the same time, I would like to share my road of swift recovery with fellow mothers. At Chien Chi Tow Healthcare, we believe that right recuperation rests assured in proper pre and post-partum TCM care.
We have formulated a fuss-free and convenient 28-day Herbal Treatments Soup, Tea and Bath package. Below is as example of our Herbal Soup Package, containing of 12 different types of soup.
Day 1: Postpartum Tonic Soup – Clear lochia from your body and promote uterine recovery.
Day 2, 3: Green Papaya Prolactation Soup- boost milk supply and relieve water retention.
Day 4, 5: Astragulus Qi-boosting Soup-Helps in wound healing and boost qi
Day 6: Notoginseng Pork-Ribs Soup – Clear blood stasis and promote blood circulation
Day 7, 11, 15: Nourishing Herbal Soup – Revitalize and nourish yin
Day 8, 12: Eucommia Waist-Strengthening Soup – Strengthen waist and kidney
Day 9, 13, 16: Pig-Tail Waist-Strengthening Soup – Strengthen waist, bones and muscles
Day 10, 14, 17: Blood Nourishing Black Chicken Soup – Nourish blood and qi
Day 18, 22, 26: Four Treasure Chicken Soup – Nourish qi and strengthen spleen
Day 19, 23, 27: Pig Stomach Herbal Soup – Strengthen and warm stomach
Day 20, 24, 28: Fo-Ti Root Blood Nourishing Soup – Nourish blood and promote better hair growth.
Day 21, 25: Brain Nourishing Soup – Boost brain power and relieve headaches.
By Ms Yen Lim, Director and Founder of Madam Partum (part of Chien Chi Tow)
Madam Partum is a new wing of Chien Chi Tow Healthcare, which provides a holistic approach using TCM techniques such as meridian massage, herbs and tonics, and corsets to achieve a full recovery towards Pre-Pregnancy state. For further queries or more information, WhatsApp Madam Partum at 81448388.
This article was first published in The New Age Parents e-magazine.
Like what you see here? Get parenting tips and stories straight to your inbox! Join our mailing list here.
Want to be heard and seen by over 100,000 parents in Singapore? We can help! Leave your contact here and we’ll be in touch.