It is important to cultivate healthy eating in children since young. Healthy eating benefits children’s growth and holistic development. Besides, it boosts children’s immunity system and prevents them from falling sick easily. To address the increasing trend of obesity in young children, looking at the diet of the child is one of the key solutions.
Eating can be quite a mammoth task especially if your child is a picky eater. Here’s a suggestion to involve your child in the food-making process. This is also a great bonding activity mummy and daddy can do with their kids.
Adapted from 501 Activities for Kids (Hodges, 2000)
What you need:
- Cream cheese, cheese, or peanut butter
- Food decorations such as fruit (e.g. strawberry, banana, apple) or vegetable pieces (e.g. carrot, lettuce), cheese slices, slices of sausage or ham, celery, raisins or anything else nutritious, tasty and colourful
- Cut a slice of bread into two or four triangles and face them outwards on a plate to form the ‘butterflies’ *
- Apply a spread to the triangles
- Decorate the triangles
- You and your child can come up with other designs too
- Allow your child to decide what goes on the sandwich; he or she will love to help and make suggestions
Be creative and enjoy the process of making healthy sandwiches with your child!
To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art.
We would love to hear from you! Share your experiences and feelings with us by leaving a comment(s) below.
By Joyce, Gui Ling and Joanna