One of the National Library Board’s latest initiatives to cultivate a love for reading and lifelong learning in children – the Early Read Program. Reading is an essential part of families’ lives and with the latest library membership programme, parents can share the joy of reading with their children from the time they are babies. This is in addition to NLB’s wide range of literacy development programmes for children, which include story dramatisation, author highlights, reader profiling, introduction to fiction genre and story writing.
‘My First Library’ Card for Babies
To encourage families to read widely together, NLB has rolled out a special edition ‘My First Library’ Card for babies to be distributed to all new mothers in the hospitals from 1 July 2016. This is the first time babies will be gifted with library cards on top of a baby gift pack, containing wonderful items all put together in a specially designed tote bag.
Babies can be members too!
Activate your baby’s library card*, borrow 6 books and collect your gift pack.
What is in the gift pack?
- 3 board books
- Reading is Fun! booklet
- A guide for Reading with Little Ones DVD
- Rhymes and Fingerplays for Little Ones
- Height Chart
- Special designed Tote bag
How to apply?
Bring your child’s birth certificate and a parent’s NRIC. Membership fees apply for non-Singaporeans. Refer to www.nlb.gov.sg.
* This programme is for babies born in 2016 onwards. Excludes library@orchard, library@esplanade and library@chinatown.
The Little Explorer
Reading passbook for children aged 6 and below
Collect your passbook today! Read, complete fun activities and be rewarded!
- Each time you borrow and read 4 books, record the title in the Little Explorer Book Chart.
- Show the chart to the librarian at the end of our Early Literacy Programmes to collect your stickers.
Early Literacy Programmes
- Baby Lapsit
- Jiggle, Read & Rhyme for toddlers
- Read & Bond: Mummy, Daddy & Me
- Expert Series for parents
Check out our programme brochure at www.nlb.gov.sg/golibrary.
Sharing is caring? Do share it with your friends by clicking “Share” below, thank you.
Want to be heard and seen by over 100,000 parents in Singapore? We can help! Leave your contact here and we’ll be in touch.