Celebrate ’40 Years of Inspiring Science’ with a jam-packed year of fun at Science Centre Singapore!
Science Centre Singapore (SCS) is turning 40! In the lead up to its 40th anniversary on 10 December 2017, SCS will be rolling out an array of special events to celebrate the history and evolution of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) in Singapore. The calendar is set to inspire a love of science in everyone, from the very young, to teenagers and young adults, as well as the pioneer generation.
Highlights for the year include:
- Family Carnival @ Lakeside: A two-day celebration at Jurong Lake Gardens with outdoor movie screenings, activity booths and the opportunity to engage with various members of the Science community in Singapore
- Singapore Science Festival 2017 (SSF 2017): A national event celebrating the dynamism of science, engineering, technology and biomedicine, this year’s iteration of SSF aims to reach over 100,000 participants over the span of three weeks. With a two-day science carnival X-periment! and live demonstrations by internationally-renowned scientists, 2017 is looking to be SSF’s biggest and best year yet
- Maker Extravaganza: A special family-friendly event that encourages the public to make and tinker with their hands, Singapore’s largest show-and-tell exhibition will see over 500 makers this year, including booths from key participating organisations such as Intel, Google and Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD). Over 200 booths and 60 workshops and talks will encourage innovation and creativity by making, covering topics such as woodworking, 3D printing and robotics
- Visual SG: Southeast Asia’s signature Visualisation Festival will allow participants to delve into the world of virtual and augmented reality. Available to the public for the first time in Asia, the Microsoft HoloLens will enable visitors to pay a ‘visit’ to Mars and walk alongside Buzz Aldrin with help from The Ops Lab at the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- After Hours Dance Party at E3 (E-mmersive Experiential Environments): A unique, immersive dance party experience for all ages happening for the first time at SCS, complete with with live projection mapping and music, set to be a night to remember.
Since 1977, SCS has been at the forefront of science education in Singapore, delivering inspiring science experiences that entertain, engage and enrich anyone interested in STEM. Through its various experiential and participatory initiatives and exhibitions, interactive and connected learning opportunities and engagements with the STEM partner eco-system, SCS has created an environment where science comes to life, allowing visitors to delve deeper into corresponding subjects both through their visits to the Centre, as well as through outreach activities taking place beyond the walls of SCS.
Associate Professor Lim Tit Meng, Chief Executive of Science Centre Singapore, said, “In the last 40 years, Science Centre Singapore has played a crucial role in helping shape the science education landscape in Singapore. We continually innovate to ensure inspiring the public through STEM is central in everything we do. We have moved from traditional show and tell storytelling tactics to participatory exhibitions and finally, thanks to advancements in science and technology, to immersive experiences that enable visitors to be physically a part of the exhibitions. The latest examples of our evolution can be seen in E3 and MARVEL’S AVENGERS S.T.A.T.I.O.N., leading to higher engagement. I am pleased to share that we will continue to raise the bar in the years to come. Watch this space!”
Festival of Numbers – March Holidays (11 to 19 March 2017)
Date: 11 to 19 March 2017
Time: 10am – 6pm
Venue: Science Centre Singapore, various galleries
Price: Free * Admission charges to Science Centre Singapore apply
Join us in an immersive celebration of numbers! It’s a carnival like no other, filled with enriching activities and games for you to experience the exhilarating discovery of interesting numbers all around you!
Some highlights include:
- Pi Day – Circle of Pi: The clock is ticking and it’s time for a celebration! Join us as we round up 100 visitors to form a circle of π and usher in π day at 1.59pm! Happening 14 March, 1.30pm-1.59pm at the Atrium.
- Rubik’s Cube Demonstration: Did you know that there are 43,252,003,274,489,856,000 possible permutations for a Rubik’s Cube? Explore the solutions and the mathematics behind them at the Festival of Numbers. Happening 11 March, 2pm-4pm at Hall A.
- Gallery Hunt: Celebrate and learn about more about special numbers! Keep your hands busy with our hands-on activities, and crack your brains with our memory game and puzzle challenges. Complete the gallery hunt to redeem a special token – while stocks last!
- Funfair Maths: Experience the marvellous world of Mathematics! Ride a square-wheeled tricycle, solve the A-Maze-ing Math trail and learn about the world of patterns, shapes and numbers.
- Talks and Workshops: Learn more about mathematics from the experts themselves! If you’re a parent or an educator, join the talk on How to learn/teach Math to your Primary 1-3 child, while lower secondary students can get a chance to experience mathematics hands-on at the Mathematical Discovery & Habits of Mind workshop. Happening on 12 and 18 March respectively, 11am-12pm at Maxwell Auditorium.
40 Years of Inspiring Science – Public call for memories, videos and photos
Since its inception, SCS has welcomed more than 30 million visitors, creating and inspiring memories that are dear to the millions who have passed through its doors. To capture these experiences, SCS is inviting the public to share their memories in the form of writing, images, or videos that depict their visits to SCS, or participation in any of the centre’s outreach events.
Fifteen selected submissions will stand a chance to be interviewed and featured on SCS’s various official platforms (including the website, Facebook and Instagram pages), in addition to being a part of SCS’s 40th Anniversary video, which is set to go LIVE later this year.
Winners will also receive special bundle packages including tickets to SCS and its group of attractions including KidsSTOP, Snow City and Omni-Theatre, and discounts at its two F&B outlets, Lijiang Chinese Restaurant and PocoLoco Microbrewery. Those interested can submit their entries at https://tinyurl.com/40thSCS.