With the increasing demand and popularity of the iPhone, it is no surprise that new applications are created everyday to cater to the growing population of iPhone users. The New Age Parents is happy to feature some great iPhone Apps parents should share with their children.
1. Speak & Read (WINKtoLEARN.com)
WINK to LEARN Speak and Read application for iPad and iPhone is a spin off from their Speak and Read DVD series, developed by Mr. Lee Hann Yang. Inspired by the flash cards method spearheaded by Dr. Glenn Doman and Dr. Makato Shichida, this application focuses on developing your child’s language skills. It includes lessons and games, where all words and images are in specific ‘cards’, with visual and audio features, to facilitate word and sound recognition skills. WinktoLearn iPhone apps / iPad apps are available in 6 different languages.
Cost: Only USD$0.99 (With free lifetime upgrade to more games and enhancements)
Promotes word recognition skills, vocabulary learning and science (environmental awareness)
2. Read Me Stories (8Interactive Limited)
A fun new educational and captivating e-book, your child will receive a new educational picture book every day as they use this app. Each story teaches new concepts, new words and how to say them. Spend quality time while teaching the core skills of reading and speaking that are so necessary for your child in today’s modern world. Your child can practice reading anywhere and anytime! Read Me Stories also keeps track of your child’s favourite books, so yuou can read to them again and again.
Promotes vocabulary learning and reading and word recognition skills
3. Piano Pals (BigStack Studios)
No toy pianos for your little ones? No worries! Spend some music time with your child today with Piano Pals, developed by parents for parents. There are four main modes to play with in this app:
Animal mode – Press the keys on the keyboard and an animal in the scene will start to animate with sounds. Young children begin to associate a colored key with a certain animal. The names of the animal will appear on the keyboard to help older children learn word association.
Music Mode – Turns the keyboard into a multi-touch Do, Re, Mi, Fa, So, La, Ti, Do piano.
Color Mode – Press the keys on the keyboard and the correlating color will swipe across the screen as a pleasant female voice narrates the color.
Number Mode – Each of the keys on the keyboard has a number of dots on them. When your child presses the key with five dots on it, the number 5 swipes across the screen as a pleasant female voice narrates the number.
Cost: Only USD$0.99
Promotes music development, number and word recognition
4. BabyFirst Mobile (BFTV, LLC)
Amuse your child as they play and learn with BabyFirst Mobile! Your child is sure to giggle with delight as they explore the vivid animated and live action videos – all complete with simple inspiring adventures and cheerful music.
Choose among numerous programs and characters, including:
– Harry the Bunny: the lovable funny bunny introduces new words and experiences
– Peekaboo, I see You: the timeliness game of peekaboo comes to life!
– Rainbow Horse: a spirited horse brings colors into the world around him
– Music and Sounds: exploring the joyous word of music
– First Words: introducing basic vocabulary words for children
Promotes language and music development
5. Shapes Learn Chinese Books (Swag Soft LLP)
Based on the popular animated series SHAPES, SHAPES Learn Chinese Books feature 6 delightful and colorful storybooks designed to supplement your child’s Chinese education the FUN and EASY way! Famous fables are brought to life using geometrical shapes such as triangles, squares and circles as they form different animal characters and backgrounds. Every story has a strong moral message that teaches kids wonderful values such as the importance of friendship and kindness.
– Each story comes with 18 pages of beautiful illustration.
– Stories are written in large fonts for easy reading.
– Hanyu Pinyin for selected words is included for enhanced learning.
– Kids can choose to read the stories themselves or have the stories read to them.
– All stories are read by professional talents in perfect Mandarin.
– Each story comes with Flashcards teaching new words.
Promotes language, mathematical and social concepts.
6. iWriteWords Lite (gdiplus)
iWriteWords teaches your child handwriting through innovative and engaging games! Help Mr. Crab collect the numbers in sequence by dragging him with your finger – and drawing the letter at the same time. Once all the letters in the word are drawn properly, a cute drawing appears. Tilt your iPhone or iPod Touch and watch the letters slide into the rotating hole and advance to the next level.
• Learn handwriting the fun way
• Playback the accomplished words featuring your child’s own handwriting
• Uses realistic physics and gravity for falling letters
• Play the ABC song by tapping or shaking your iPhone or iPod Touch likeh drumming
• Each letter and word is spoken as it was completed and many more!
Cost: Free (iWrite Words Lite), US$2.99 (iWrite Words Handwriting Game)
Promotes fine motor and writing skills, word and letter recognition
Written by Michelle