Art Day Out! – a Gillman Barracks Saturday open house – returns on 23 June for a special School Holidays Edition! Families can look forward to a variety of engaging art activities for visitors of all ages, spanning family-friendly programmes, new outdoor artworks, exhibition openings and more.
Image credit: Art Day Out! x The school Holidays Edition 2017. Courtesy of the National Arts Council.
Date: 23 June 2018 (Saturday)
Time: 2pm – 7pm
Venue: Gillman Barracks, 9 Lock Road, Singapore 108937
Admission Fees: Free admission
Join the fun at Singapore’s visual arts precinct, with event highlights such as:
Family-friendly exhibitions and programmes:
- EYE-POP!, a specially commissioned exhibition for children, teens and adults, featuring works by Queensland-based artist Yeah Yeah Chloe. Curated by local outfit EYEYAH! – a platform that uses art and design to teach children about social issues – this interactive exhibition will engage visitors about the world we live in through thought-provoking works and activities;
- Making Sense, a hands-on workshop for children and teens organised by NTU Centre for Contemporary Art (CCA) Singapore and led by Singapore artist and illustrator Tan Zi Xi (MessyMsxi);
- Creative Collaboration at Art Outreach, an interactive art-making activity where participants of all ages are invited to join artist Merryn Trevethan in creating artworks that explore colour, movement and mark-making.
New outdoor artworks, exhibitions and open artist studios:
- Launch of specially commissioned outdoor artworks by leading regional artists Albert Yonathan Setyawan and Richard Streitmatter-Tran, as part of the DISINI visual arts festival;
- Launch of LANGKAWI (1976 – 1980), an exhibition of works by acclaimed Malaysian artist Latiff Mohidin presented as part of DISINI;
- New DISINI exhibitions, The Deepest Blue and Head spinning, loop creating, by young Singapore-based curators;
- Wallpaper* Handmade On Tour 2018, an exhibition dedicated to the marriage of craftsmanship and design which features works by international and Singapore-based creatives;
- Residencies: Open by NTU CCA Singapore, where visitors will get the rare chance to explore the studios and view works-in-progress by its Artists-in-Residence such as Adrian Balseca (Ecuador), Viet Le (Vietnam/United States), Lim Sokchanlina (Cambodia), Luca Lum (Singapore), Phyoe Kyi (Myanmar), Zai Tang (United Kingdom/Singapore), and Susie Wong (Singapore);
- The launch of Shop at Mizuma, Mizuma Gallery’s permanent retail space where visitors can bring a piece of their art experience home;
- Supermama’s Garage Sale and
- MASH-UP & Friends Day Out, a pop-up shop at the DISINI pavilion, Nenas Estate, by independent fashion collective MASH-UP featuring design merchandise by California Rollin’, cool Singapore-designed fashion by Playhood and delicious snacks from Sawadeecup.
Visitors can also enjoy precinct-wide activities including new F&B offerings and free guided docent tours by Friends of the Museum – the perfect itinerary for a Saturday outing to Gillman Barracks.
For updates and details on Art Day Out! x The School Holidays Edition 2018, please visit our Facebook page
If you find this article useful, do click Like and Share at the bottom of the post, thank you.
Want more comprehensive info? Check out our e-guides here.