In an article by Nicole M. Charara on how music can benefit children, she answered some frequently questions on the benefits of music; how it can help children focus better and regulate their emotions.
We list down a few recommended playlist by Spotify on the different types of music and songs you introduce to your child for better focus, relaxation, mathematics and English/Creativity.
Recommended age group: 7 – 12 years old.
For better focus, listen to…
- Hey, Soul Sister – Train
- Tiny Dancer- Elton John
- Piano Man- Billy Joel
- Paradise Circus- Massive Attack
- The Girl From Ipanema- Stan Getz
- Over the Rainbow- Melody Gardot
- What A Wonderful World- Louis Armstrong
- Come Fly With Me- Frank Sinatra
For relaxation, listen to…
- If We Hold On Together – Diana Ross
- Only Time – Lavender Hill Orchestra, Enya, Roma Ryan
- One and Only – Adele
- You Are So Beautiful – Joe Cocker
- In Dreams (From Lord of the Rings)
- Ave Maria (Healing Piano Music)
- Don’t Know Why – Norah Jones
- Closer – Goapele
For Mathematics, listen to…
Effects of classical music: Classical music has 60-70 beats per minute, a constant melody and tone range, which calm the mind and help students to study for longer and retain factual information. It targets the part of the brain that stimulates spatial-temporal reasoning, which is useful in solving math problems. Research has also suggested that listening to classical music while studying math could see you do 12% better in exams.
- Mozart- Piano Concerto No.2
- Beethoven- Fur Elise
- Chopin- Waltz in D-Flat Major, Op. 64, No.1
- Handel- Largo Xerxes
- Beethoven- Adieu to the Piano
- Tchaikovsky- Swan Lake-Scene
- Rossini- William
- Vivaldi- Spring from The Four Seasons – Violin Concerto in E Major
- Bach- Toccata and Fugue in D Minor
- Grieg- Morning from Peer Gynt
For English & Creativity, listen to…
Effects of emotive pop and rock songs: When studying for subjects like English, drama or art, students use the right side of the brain to process original, creative thoughts. Listening to emotive rock and pop music produces a heightened state of excitement that is likely to enhance creative performance.
- Katy Perry – Firework
- Rihanna – Diamonds
- Kelly Clarkson – Stronger
- Justin Bieber – Beauty and a Beat
- One Direction – One Way or Another (Teenage Kicks)
- Rolling Stones – I Can’t Get No (Satisfaction)
- Biffy Clyro – Biblical
- Guns’n’Roses – Sweet Child Of Mine
- Mumford and Sons – Winter Winds
- Bon Jovi – It’s My Life
This research is commissioned by Spotify, digital music streaming service.