Thirty to forty percent of pregnant women suffer from pregnancy heartburn caused by the slipping of digestive acids through the LES (lower esophageal sphincter) back into the esophagus.
The weight of the baby adds pressure on the stomach causing the LES not to function well.
Many people regard it as a normal part of pregnancy but the truth lay unheard that there are many easy ways to relieve the woman from heartburn discomfort.
The following are just a few of the many ways to relieve yourself from heartburn:
- Be aware of what you eat and drink which bring in signs of heartburn. Take note so you will not indulge on them again.
- Analyze your lifestyle and recognize aspects of it that trigger heartburn attack.
- Split meals into smaller ones. Eating smaller meals is better than having one or two large meals a day. Whatever food or drink which you have identified with periodic heartburn should be eliminated in your diet. However, you might want to consult your doctor before doing so because some of them might be important to your pregnancy. The doctor can suggest food substitutes for you to still acquire the nutrients which you need.
- After each meal, it is advisable that you refrain from laying down or sitting back with your feet in a raised position. This invites the food to travel back to your digestive track.
- When you sleep, you should see to it that your head is elevated 4-6 inches high. You can make use of anything to raise it particularly two pillows placed on top of each other.
- Make it a habit to chew gum or to suck some candies to maintain saliva production. The presence of saliva neutralizes the acid in the body. Furthermore, the saliva hinders any acids from rising up from the stomach.
Heartburn is indeed a factor that adds up to the burden and discomfort which a pregnant woman undergoes. Aside from body changes and pains, heartburn is one pregnancy dilemma which should not be ignored. Instead, the pregnant woman can do something to ease her feeling by following the above-mentioned methods in dealing with pregnancy heartburn.
Do you suffer from pregnancy heartburn? How do you deal with it? We welcome you to share with us your comments.