Christmas is near! Bored of the usual Christmas tree ornaments?
Want to hang something more personalized? Now you can make your own using this simple recipe.
Ingredients for salt dough
- 1 Cup of salt
- 1 Cup of flour
- 3 / 4 cup of water
- Cookie cutters
- A big bowl
- Paint and some craft materials (for decoration)
Oven (for baking the dough)
1. Add salt into the bowl
2. Add the flour
3. Add the water to the salt-flour mixture a little at a time, mixing by hand to a thick consistency.
4. Add more water to the mixture if it’s too dry.
5. If paste is too liquid, add equal proportions of salt and flour to the mixture and mix again, until desired consistency is achieved.
6. Knead the dough to make it smooth.
7. Then roll it out on baking paper or a non-stick surface, to about 1cm thickness.
8. Get your cookie cutters and cut your desired shapes.
9. Pierce a hole at the top of the shape if you want to string the ornament up. You can use a straw for this.
10. Bake for 20 minutes at 200 degrees.
11. Turn over once at the 10 minute mark.
12. Once they are baked and cooled, you can paint them or add glitter. We recommend Mod Podge to paint.
13. Let it dry overnight to help it last longer.
More ideas: They make great Christmas tree ornaments but you can also make a name out of it. In fact, there are endless ways to decorate and use it!
Here’s a video tutorial to help you:
Subscribe to our YouTube channel and share this on your Facebook!
By Dorothea Chow