Every year, millions of people around the world participate in the world’s largest grassroot movements – Earth Hour – as a symbolic gesture for climate change. How do they do this? By switching off their non-essential lighting for an hour!
This Earth Hour, WWF-Singapore is organising the biggest ever Earth Hour event held in Singapore by partnering with OSIM Official Sundown Marathon Singapore! This means even more exciting events and activities to do apart from switching off your lights!
So sign up here and get regular alerts from us about how you can help this be the grandest Earth Hour event Singapore has seen!
About Earth Hour
Earth Hour is a global environmental initiative in partnership with WWF. Individuals, businesses, governments and communities are invited to turn out their lights for one hour on Saturday March 25, 2017 at 8:30 PM to show their support for environmentally sustainable action.
WWF – the World Wide Fund for Nature, is one of the world’s largest and most respected independent conservation organisations, with almost five million supporters and a global network active in more than 100 countries. WWF’s mission is to stop the degradation of the planet’s natural environment and to build a future in which humans live in harmony with nature, by conserving the world’s biological diversity, ensuring that the use of renewable natural resources is sustainable, and promoting the reduction of pollution and wasteful consumption.
Environmental impact of key actions
• The air-conditioner is a major contributor to the amount of electricity consumed in the typical household. Using the air-conditioner in energy efficient ways can reduce its impact on the environment and your electricity bill.
- The air-conditioner takes up 30 percent of the typical household electricity bill.
- Air-conditioning should be set at 25 degrees Celsius, and not below 24 degrees Celsius.
- When set to this optimal temperature, the air-conditioner will not need to use up so much energy to cool the environment around you. This in turn results in less fossil fuels burnt to power the airconditioner and less heat released into the atmosphere, hence reducing the impact on the environment.
- Every one degree increase in the air-conditioner temperature helps you save a minimum of S$25 annually. We can save a minimum of $150 million annually in the total electricity bill for Singapore if all Singaporeans take this up.
• LED lights offer greater energy savings than traditional incandescent lights. Most of the energy LED lights use goes into making light instead of heat. Most incandescent lights, for example, produce anywhere from 5-20 lumens (a measure of brightness) per watt, whereas compact fluorescent bulbs put out about 40-70 lumens. By comparison, LEDS range from 20 lumens up to 100 lumens.
• Please refer to www.ledlightingexplained.com/led-lighting-myths
• 3 billion plastic bags were used in Singapore in 2011, needing 37 million kilogrammes of crude oil and 12 million kilogrammes of natural gas to make.
• Each kg of plastic bags requires 1.2 kilogrammes of crude oil, according to a study done by the Agency for Science, Technology and Research.
• Globally, each year, more than one trillion plastic bags are used around the world, less than two percent of which are recycled. The rest end up in landfills – where they can take up to 1,000 years to break down – or as litter.
• Please refer to www.zerowastesg.com/2012/04/27/plastic-bag-production-an-environmental-worry-news
Nearly 50 percent of the water used in the homes in Singapore goes to showers and kitchen sink washing. Showers generally take up 29 percent of an average family’s monthly water consumption.
People can save nine litres of water per minute in the shower by taking shorter showers.
Please refer to www.pub.gov.sg/conserve/households/wacprogramme/pages/default.aspx
Earth Hour 2017 will take place at 8.30pm, 25 March 2017, Saturday
CapitaLand Earth Hour 2017 on CapitaStar
25 March 2017 (Saturday)
Take part in CapitaLand’s Earth Hour Quiz from 8.30pm to 11.59pm on 25 March 2017 (Saturday)! Log in to the CapitaStar mobile app and answer an eco-question on Sparkle, CapitaStar’s fully-automated artificial intelligence chatbot, and stand a chance to win STAR$®! 1,000,000 STAR$® are up for grabs.
Download the latest version of the CapitaStar mobile app on the Apple App Store or Google Play.