Caramelised pork belly, grilled prawns, sweet potato and chorizo. Image courtesy of boCHINche
Serves 6 pax
1 kg pork belly
Sweet potato puree
Diced confit chorizo
Fluffy pork skin (Chicharrón)
For the marinade
100ml of sweet soy sauce
2 tbs whole grain mustard
1 red chilli
- Mix all ingredients of marinade together and put marinade aside.
- Clean pork belly and seal it in a vacuum pack with marinade.
- When marinated, put in a water bath and slow cook it for 12hr at 70 degree Celsius.
- When pork belly is cooked, remove it from the water bath and let it cool down. (Note: If you don’t have a water bath, oven-roast the pork belly with an aluminium foil cover at 160 degree Celsius for 3 hours)
- Once pork belly is cooled, cut it into individual slices and caramelise it at slow heat with the
marinade juices for about 10 minutes.
- Serve with grilled prawns, sweet potato puree, chorizo and pork skin.
To make your own Chicharrón
- Boil pork skin for about 2 hours then put it on flat trays allowing it to cool down.
- Once cooled, scrap away the excess fat.
- Cut the remaining pork skin into small pieces and put them back on the trays, letting them air-dry for 48hr until hard.
- Right before serving, put pork skin in deep fryer until they expand into big and light crackers.
Recipe contributed by Fabrice Mergalet, Executive Head Chef of boCHINche