Activity Duration: 3 days
Age appropriate: 3 – 7 years old
A child learns by the following factors: observing, listening, playing, exploring, questioning, experimenting, and stimulating all/most of his/her senses (touch, taste, smell, vision and hearing).
- Create a fun and explorative way of learning alphabets, names, or words
- Parent and child bonding session
- Incite Imagination
- Encourage Recycling
- A box
- Plastic animals, fishes, figurines (theme related)
- Scotch Tape
- Paint and brush
- Ice cream sticks
- A backdrop drawing or picture
- Colour Pencils
Day 1: Paint the Box & Learning Counting
Duration: 1 – 2 hours
- Together with your child, tape the edges of the box (This is to prevent the sand from spilling out of the box).
- Allow your child to paint the box with their favourite colours
- You can encourage your child to use their fingers or hands to make prints on the box. Also a great time to encourage your child to explore the mixing of different colours
- While your child is painting the box, write the numbers on the ice cream stick
- For younger children, you can introduce numbers 1 to 10
- For older children, you can introduce numbers in the multiplication order e.g. 2, 4, 6, 8, 10
- After your child has painted their box, allow the painted to dry
- Using the numbered ice cream sticks, introduce the numbers to your child and allow them to stick the ice cream sticks on the box
- In this case, the theme of our box was going to the Zoo, so we used the ice cream sticks to represent the animal enclosure / fence
Day 2: Colouring the Zoo Backdrop
Duration: 1 hour
- Create a backdrop for your box
- This can be your own or your child’s drawing
- You can also search online for pictures and print them out (like what we did)
- Allow your child to colour the backdrop using colour pencils
- Talk to your child about the theme of your sandbox
- Ask them questions to describe what they might see or experience
- Or ask them to recall and describe their prior experience (e.g. their last trip to the zoo)
- You can also introduce letters and words relating to the theme
Day 3: It’s Play Time!
- Allow your child to pour sand into the box
- Together with the toy animals, allow the child to have fun with their sandbox
- For a sensorial learning experience, ask your child to write letters or spell words on the sand
Learning the letter Z. Z for Zebra!
Poppletots was started in 2010 by a mom who left her job to be spend more time with her child. Poppletots aims to provide unique, fun and useful children related products such as educational kits and apparels. Within 2 years, Poppletots has become a fun-going cosy community for reviews and parents to exchange ideas.