Who says there’s nothing to do in Singapore? Here are 50 ways you can have fun with your kids, not just this month but all year round.
Take a look at the list below and see which activities (or all) peak your interest!
1. Visit a national park. Do you know that there are 415 parks scattered all over Singapore? Why not visit our very own UNESCO World Heritage Site – the Singapore Botanic Gardens. There are also many reservoirs around the island with very scenic walking trails. You can visit the Seletar Reservoir and MacRitchie Reservoir.
2. Fly a kite at Marina Barrage
Image credit: Teng Guan Kwee
3. Visit a water playground
Waterworks at Singapore Science Centre
4. Visit the heritage playgrounds
Tiong Bahru Park Adventure Playground at Tiong Bahru Central
5. BBQ at the beach.
6. Make sandcastles at Sentosa
Palawan Beach, Sentosa
7. Take a cable car ride up Mount Faber
8. Ride the MRT from one end of the island to the other
9. Collect leaves of roadside trees at a nearby park in your estate
10. Pick saga seeds in Singapore. There is actually a Saga tree resource on Google Maps that shows the location of Saga seed trees in Singapore.
Image credit: Google Maps
11. Eat an ice cream “sandwich” from the traditional push carts along Orchard Road or at any heartlands.
12. Go prawning. Head down to ORTO, East Coast Prawn Fishing, , Punggol Prawning, Hai Bin P Prawning at Promenade Riverside Walk and Jurong Hill Prawn Fishing.
13. Go on a fishing trip. Some places to explore are: Changi Board walkway bridge between the changi swimming club and the sailing club, Bedok Jetty, Ponggol Jetty n the beach on the right near to Coney island (Sungei Ponggol) and Sembawang beach jetty just to name a few.
14. Have a family picnic at the Hort Park. Or catch a free performance by Singapore Symphony Orchestra at the Singapore Botanic Gardens.
16. Visit the revamped Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve.
17. Visit an animal farm.
18. Go Longkang fishing.
19. Have an art Jamming session with your kids or friends. Some places to check out: My Art Space, Arteastiq, Cups and Canvas, and ARThaus.
20. Watch a movie at the Omni-theatre.
21. Catch a free concert.
22. Watch a musical or play at the Esplanade or National Library. For more information of shows, go to Sistic.
23. Visit the library. Some unique libraries you can check out are: My Tree House Central Library and the library at Chinatown.
24. Learn to ride a horse.
25. Enjoy a beautiful sunrise or sunset at scenic spots in Singapore.
26. Go to Universal Studios for the day.
27. Take cooking / baking lessons together.
28. Take a heritage trail.
29. Teach them to ride a bike at Pasir Ris, Changi, East Coast or Bedok Park.
30. Eat the best of local food.
Image credit: Yew Kwang
31. Visit Chek Jawa, Pulau Ubin.
32. Hunt for mimosa in your neighbourhood
33. Visit a vegetable farm
34. Volunteer to help the needy
35. Make a sand art piece together (available at many shopping malls islandwide).
36. Take a sketch-walk around town. Follow Urban Sketchers in Singapore for more ideas.
37. Visit the Flower Dome and Cloud Forest at Gardens by the Bay.
38. Watch the Supertrees light up at night in Gardens by the Bay.
Image credit: Peter Ong
39. Visit Bukit Brown.
40. Plan a family staycation.
41. Instead of bladding, why not ice skate together. You can go to Kallang Ice World at Kallang Leisure Park, or The Rink at JCube.
42. Sweat it out at an indoor trampoline park. There are more than three: AMPed, Sky High and Zoom Park.
Image credit: Amped Trampoline Park
43. Race each other at the nearest stadium track.
44. Visit a fire station.
Image credit: Mr Lim Chin Leng and family
45. Take a walk through nature trails in Singapore. Singapore Botanic Gardens has a rainforest trail for visitors. Other trails to try: Treetop walk and Tampines Eco Green.
Singapore Botanic Gardens Rainforest Trail. Image credit: National Geographic Young Explorer
National Museum of Singapore
47. Watch planes at the airport at Changi Airport viewing gallery at Terminal 1. There is also a Changi Aviation Gallery at T2 and T3.
48. Climb a rock wall at The Cliff, right next to Snow City. Or visit Climb Central at the Singapore Sports Hub.
49. Take a boat ride down the Singapore River.
50. Enjoy a bird’s eye view from the Sky Park at Marina Bay Sands.
By Dorothea Chow, edited by Michelle Ang